- Setting down a major piece of new information in writing for the first time.
- Continuing a previously original piece of work.
- Carrying out original work designed by the supervisor.
- Providing a single original technique, observation, or result in an otherwise unoriginal but competent piece of research.
- Having many original ideas, methods and interpretations all performed by others under the direction of the postgraduate.
- Showing originality in testing somebody else's idea.
- Carrying out empirical work that hasn't been done before.
- Making a synthesis that hasn't been made before.
- Using already known material but with a new interpretation.
- Trying out something in your country that has previously only been done in other countries.
- Taking a particularly technique and applying it to a new area.
- Bringing new evidence to bear on an old issue.
- Being cross-disciplinary and using different methodologies.
- Looking at areas that people in the discipline haven't looked at before.
- Adding to knowledge in a way that hasn't been done before.
2 weeks ago